We’ve had some A-M-A-Z-I-N-G Florida strawberries in our local farmers market lately, and its such a nice pick-me-up from all the cold weather, snow, and ice. I think DH and I have been through 5 quarts in 2 weeks!
What with all of this happy strawberry deliciousness, I thought I should share my favorite way to eat strawberries…
I grew up eating strawberries and shortcake, like most people. But after I met my DH, his mother introduced me to Velvet Crumb Cake.
I’ve never looked back.
I scoff at your shortcake! Your shortcake has nothing on the velvet crumb!
This cake is amazing. The recipe was originally a whole cake that had nothing to do with strawberries (I’ll post the Honey Crisp Topping that’s supposed to go on it at the bottom of this post), but somewhere along the line, the cake-sans-topping became the most delicious accoutrement to fresh strawberries that I’d had in a long time!
I didn’t photograph it the way I like to eat it, because it’s not the prettiest thing: I like to put a slice of this cake in a bowl, top it with strawberries that have been sitting in some sugar, then pour about 1/2 cup of milk over the whole shebang, and top it with whipped cream.
Oh my god, it’s sinful. And heavenly. All at the same time.
Velvet Crumb Cake
1 1/2 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp shortening (I use butter)
1 tsp vanilla extract
– Heat oven to 350 degrees F
– Blend all ingredients in a large mizer bowl on low speed 1-2 minutes, scraping the bowl frequently
– Beat 4 minutes at medium speed in your mixer bowl
– Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8×8 (or 9×9) square pan
– Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
– (If using the Honey Topping listed below…) While warm, spread with Honey Crisp Topping
– (If eating it with strawberries like I do…) Cool, slice and serve.
– I store mine in the refridgerator to get more life out of it, but that’s up to you.
Honey Crisp Topping
3 tbsp butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup crushed Wheaties cereal
1 can (8.5 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
– Mix together and spread on warm Velvet Crumb Cake