These “cookies” made their way around the blog-o-sphere several months back, but, at the time, I had no justification to make an entire jelly roll pan full of cookies….and no desire to add 10 pounds in doing so.
We had a get-together to go to Saturday, so I made these.
I also discovered my jelly roll pan isn’t standard sized…so my bars were THICK.
I’d say they were only so-so the day I made them, but for whatever reason, they were AWESOME the next day! I’d make them again, but in a larger pan so they’re not as thick, and, I’d make them a day before…they taste better after sitting overnight!
Sugar Cookie Bars
1 cup butter; room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
– Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
– Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg.
– Add vanilla & mix well.
– In a separate bowl combine flour, salt & soda & stir with a whisk to combine.
– Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined.
– Spread on a greased jelly roll pan (use a 13 x 18 pan).
– Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean.
– Cool completely and frost.
1/2 cup butter; room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
food coloring (if desired)
– For frosting combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy.
– Add vanilla and salt.
– Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk & mix until smooth and spreading consistency.
-Spread over cooled cookie.