This was the “new” cookie recipe I decided on for our 2011 Christmas festivities. I make our old favorites every year but usually choose one new cookie to try.
These cookies were very tasty, and bonus points should be awarded for being a cookie that freezes very well after being baked. I just felt like they were a little “bland” looking. I think if I made them again, I’d roll the dough balls in sugar, or something, to add a little sparkle to them before baking. I also discovered while making these that none of my spoons have a round end to make the indentation with…so I apologize for the misshapen jelly areas!
Strawberry Cream Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Seedless strawberry jam
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Add flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a 1/2-in.-deep indentation in the center of each ball; fill with about 1/4 teaspoon jam. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Yield: 5 dozen