We originally had this over the summer, with garden tomatoes – but we’ve had it since then with ‘on the vine’ tomatoes from the grocery store and it is just as good!
The tomato sauce has a VERY light flavor, and the cream adds a little richness. We love it – you could easily add any kind of seafood, or even pre-cooked chicken.
Spaghetti with Shrimp in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 1 lb medium raw shrimp, shell removed
- ¾ lb spaghetti or angel hair pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 small onion, or ¼ cup green onion, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon hot chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried basil, or 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup dry white wine (I just used chicken broth!)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan to serve
- Put the tomatoes, onion, chili flakes, basil, garlic and butter in a heavy pan , season with pepper.
- Add the wine/broth and cook until mixture is soft and most of the wine has evaporated. You will have about ¼ cup liquid remaining.
- Peel shrimp and dry on paper towels. Lightly season shrimp with salt and pepper and saute in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium/high heat, just until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook pasta in salted water with 1 tablespoon olive oil, according to the package instructions until al dente (tender but firm to the bit). Rinse, Drain and set aside.
- Once the sauce has mostly evaporated, stir in the cream and add the shrimp. Warm through gently for 2 minutes.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve!