I wanted to make something last Sunday, and had all the ingredients on hand for this recipe…and that’s pretty much the extent of how and why. LOL And these are actually really, super, duper delicious!
I originally found this recipe on Pinterest. Yes, I’m addicted like everyone else. And happy to send you an invite if you need one. Just let me know.
Oatmeal Lemon Squares
1/2 cup cold butter
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® oatmeal cookie mix (I didn’t have a pre-made mix on hand so I made my own using this link)
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 teaspoons lemon zest (this was about 2 lemons for me, which I was thrilled with because of the juice below…completely used both lemons!)
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl cut the cold butter into the cookie mix with a fork or pastry blender.
- Stir in the egg until the mixture is crumbly.
- Press half of the dough into the bottom of the greased pan and bake it in the oven for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the sweetened condensed milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice until thick and combined.
- Spread lemon mixture over baked crust and evenly crumble remaining dough on the top.
- Bake another 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set. Cut into bars and store in the refrigerator.