This is fantastic because it’s good hot, warm, cold, — whatever! And it doesn’t have any mayo, so it’s great for picnics and outdoor activities.
**I will apologize for my poor potatoes — I bought organic ones…and they cooked up MUCH faster than I’d anticipated. They’re a bit “mashed” looking!**
German Potato Salad
(Original from allrecipes.com)
Makes 8 servings
8 potatoes, cubed
8 slices bacon
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup white wine vinegar (cider vinegar is also delicious!)
1 cup chopped green onions
salt and pepper to taste
– Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, cook until tender but still firm (about 10-15 minutes). Drain, and cool.
– Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside. Reserve bacon fat.
– Add the flour, sugar, water, and vinegar to the skillet and cook in the reserved bacon fat over medium heat until dressing is thick.
– Place cooled potatoes, green onions, and crumbled bacon in a large bowl. Gently pour dressing over potatoes (I’ve found that you may not need ALL of the dressing – -add half, stir it, and taste to see if it’s enough). Season with salt and pepper. Mix gently.
– Serve warm or room temperature.