Mmmm…homemade mac and cheese. What I discovered while looking for this recipe is that — dependent upon where you live — mac and cheese can be VERY different!
I wanted a classic mac and cheese. Something creamy, with easy-to-find cheeses (no fancy, expensive type cheeses!).
This recipe fit the bill. Chelley’s was good — but I added a bit more cheese to make it a creamier mac n cheese. It’s fantastic, and just creamy enough. DH and I love it!
Homemade Baked Macaroni and Cheese
(Altered from Chelley’s Blog)
8 oz. macaroni (I like rotini)
4 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2/3 cup shredded swiss cheese, divided
2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
– Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain.
– Preheat the oven for 400 degrees.
– Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and salt and stir until mixture is smooth. Add milk gradually, stirring constantly.
– Cook over low/medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 5 minutes).
– Stir in 1/3 cup of the cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup of the swiss cheese, and 1/3 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
– Mix the cheese sauce and macaroni in a large bowl.
– Spoon into a baking dish (I used a square pyrex — Chelley reccommends 9×7). Sprinkle with remaining cheddar, swiss, and mozzarella.
– Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave (30 seconds does it in mine)
– Combine bread crums and melted butter in a small bowl and mix well.
– Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture on top of the cheese.
– Bake until hot and bubbly; approximately 15 minutes.