I was in the mood for something “different” for our weekend breakfast this week, and when I came across this recipe at Pennies on a Platter I thought it fit the bill! (Plus, it made a lot, so I hoped I could take leftovers for breakfast during the workweek!)
This casserole was good, but it wasn’t as good as I’d anticipated. I used frozen hash browns (the recipe didn’t show a preference) and they stayed a little mushy under all that egg. I also think it needs some kick…this is definately a base recipe, and probably some peppers or hot sauce would be awesome with it.
It was tasty — I just think the eggs, sausage, and hash browns would’ve been tastier as three separate entrees.
Gundy’s Breakfast Casserole
16 ounces hashbrowns or tater tots (I used frozen shredded hashbrowns)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cream of xxx soup (I used chicken)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used a mix of cheddar and a mexican blend)
1 diced onion
1 lb. breakfast sausage (I used turkey sausage links, and chopped them up finely. I also put them in uncooked…I keep thinking it’d be a better consistency if they’d have been cooked)
3/4 cup milk
– Spray casserole dish (I used a 9×13) with cooking spray and place hashbrowns/tater tots in the bottom of the dish.
– Mix together sour cream, cream of xxx soup, cheese, onions, and sausage
– In a seperate bowl, beat eggs and mix in milk
– Combine egg mixture with the sour cream mixture and pour over the hashbrowns/tater tots
– Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes (or until done).