2013 was full of delicious recipes…that…I…didn’t..post.
I think I just fell off the blogging bandwagon! But I’m climbing back on – or trying to!
I whipped up this soup today as quick grab-and-go lunch for this week for me and hubby. I did add chicken at hubby’s request, and I made my own condensed tomato soup mix instead of using the canned so I could control the ingredients. (I’ll post that substitute recipe at the bottom of this entry for you.)
This soup was definitely different from anything else I’ve made (I’m not typically a ‘tomato soup’ lover) but it is very tasty. And SO quick – it’d be a great weeknight meal!
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
2 cloves of Garlic, Minced
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 10 3/4 oz Cans of Condensed Tomato Soup (or my substitute, listed below)
1/4 cup Sun Dried Tomatoes, chopped or 2 tbsp Sun Dried Tomato Paste (I omitted because I didn’t have it)
2 cups Half-and-half
2 cups Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 whole 9 Oz Package Of Cheese Filled Tortellini (I used more than this – 1.5 packages?)
1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese, for garnish
– Saute garlic with the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat until golden brown.
– Be sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t get too brown or burnt.
– When the garlic is done, add tomato soup, tomatoes, half and half, chicken stock and spices.
– Bring to a simmer.
– Once simmering, drop tortellini into the soup. Cook according to the package directions.
– After tortellini are cooked, ladle soup into bowls and top with parmesan cheese.
Condensed Tomato Soup substitute
This recipes makes the equivalent of one can of condensed soup. So for the recipe above, you’ll need to double this.
If you are looking to make this as tomato soup to eat – simply add 1 cup of milk…just like you would with a can of condensed soup.
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
– Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and use a whisk to blend