I have a delicious shepherd’s pie recipe on the blog, but I wanted to make something new for St. Patrick’s Day – so I went with colcannon!
Traditional colcannon is generally mashed potatoes and kale or cabbage…there are versions with ham or bacon as well.
I made mine with mashed potatoes, kale, and sweet italian sausage – it was tasty!
(Nobody said it was photogenic, ok?)
4 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 c milk
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups kale leaves, roughly chopped
1 lb sweet italian sausage, removed from casing and cooked
cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
– boil potatoes in a large saucepan until cooked through
– meanwhile, add the butter and milk to the bottom of a large bowl / or / the bowl of your stand mixer
– in a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil; add the garlic and kale and cook down
– drain the potatoes and add to the bowl with the milk and butter; mash the potatoes
– add the cooked kale/garlic mixture to the potatoes, and the cooked sausage; mix gently
– add salt and pepper to taste
– serve up and sprinkle cheddar cheese over it before serving