I’m pretty sure Ally is my husband’s new hero.
Last Saturday, while I was browsing blogs and my Google Reader looking for the week’s recipes, my hubby walked up behind me and said “That. We’re having that. I mean — can we have that??”
The item on the screen? Ally’s “take” on a club sandwich. Leave it to three kinds of meat to make my hubby’s little heart flutter! ha!
Admittedly, I had it starred in my Reader — so I was happy to indulge him. I served it basic — just some steamed broccoli on the side to off-set all that meat!!
This is a delicious sandwich. I’d totally make it again — really, any combination of meat and cheese would be amazing this way. On my list to try? Philly cheesesteak style sandwiches, and ham and cheese. Mmmm…
With my changes…
Baked Club Sandwich
(Serves 2-4, depending on how big everyone’s appetite is!!)
1 frozen bread loaf, thawed — OR — 1 refrigerated french bread loaf (I used the latter this time because I forgot to pull the bread out of the freezer to thaw!)
6 slices each (about 1/4 lb.) deli meat — turkey, ham, roast beef
6-8 slices provolone cheese
1/2 cup (approx) shredded cheese (I used pizza blend — had it in the fridge!)
melted butter for brushing the top
italian seasoning to sprinkle on top (I just used parsley — DH is picky)
– Roll the dough out until it is a large rectangle (no measurements — just as large as you want it!)
– Layer the meats and cheeses on one side of the rectangle however you like
– Roll the dough up pin-wheel style and transfer to a baking sheet
– Baste the top with butter and sprinkle with seasonings
– Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes