And I don’t mean this guy:
I mean the dreaded..
The east coast is sweltering this week, folks! The gym was closed yesterday, so I did a cool-as-a-cucumber yoga session in my living room, but today, it’s back to the gym. Which may or may not be cooler than the outside temp – the past 3 weeks it’s been over 80 degrees in there.
So, just because we can all use the reminder….some tips for exercising in this mess:
- Stay hydrated! General rule of thumb is 8 oz. of water for every 15 minutes of activity in extreme heat!
- Exercise in the morning or late at night … to avoid the heat of the day. This isn’t really an option for me, and it was already 80 at 7am today, but if it works for you, go for it!
- Slow down – maybe don’t try for that PR on the hottest day of the year, ok? 🙂
- Wear light, breathable clothing – and sweat wicking, if you have it! This keeps you feeling cooler.
- Assess your body – don’t forget to listen to your body! Are you tired? Feeling sick? Dizzy? Then stop. It’ll be there tomorrow, or the next day. 🙂
- Don’t forget to abide by weather warnings. If your local weather man tells you there’s a heat warning…maybe reconsider your outdoor run at 4pm, eh?
Alright, now that we’re done with education…
Here’s how today went down:
Citrucel on the way to work – 7:30 (I was early today!)
Breakfast – 8:30 a.m.
Total Raisin Bran, milk, ½ a banana
Lunch – 12:00 p.m.
Big side salad (leaf lettuce, grape tomatoes, 3 kinds of peppers, carrots, cucumber a few croutons) with red wine vinaigrette and… fish sticks.
LMAO. I love it.
Seriously, though…hubs and I have had a hankering for fish sticks lately, so I picked up a box of Dr. Praeger’s to try. I figured they’re the closest thing to a healthy fish stick I could find in a frozen food section.
They were really, really good! And totally helped the craving.
Finished up lunch with an unpictured piece of taffy from a co-worker who just got back from vacation. It was soft and chewy…I don’t think I’ve ever had taffy that fresh before!
Snack – 3:45 p.m.
½ a chocolate chip clif bar from the depths of my purse. I have no idea how long it’s been there. I prefer not to think about it.
Exercise – 4:45 p.m.
I am on week 3 of Gina’s Summer Shape Up 2010 and having a blast! My only regret is it has been too hot to do the speed work days outside…and it’s a little cumbersome to do them in the gym, so I’ve been improvising. I am loving the two days of yoga I get every week though!
Today I chose to tackle Strength + Speed
5 minutes warm up cardio
3 sets of 12, done as constantly moving circuits:
Sumo Squat + Leg Raise
Stability Ball Hamstring Curl
Pilates Side Leg Lift (10 raises, then 10 circles forward and 10 back, keeping hips stacked)
Bosu Calf Raise
Hip Raise on Stability Ball with Weighted Bar
HIIT – 5 minute warm up on the bike
15 minutes HIIT
5 minute cool down
Holy mother of sweat it was hot in the gym today. I’ll be spending my whole evening rehydrating after that!
1h20m@ the gym = 550 calories burned
Since it’s hotter than Hades outside today, I knew I couldn’t walk the doggle or water my garden when I got home, so I headed home and packed my lunch, prepped my clothes and gym clothes for tomorrow, did dishes, made dinner, ate, and finally got to water my garden at 8:15 p.m. The pup didn’t get a walk, but she ran with the neighbor dog for awhile, and I chased her skinny butt all over the yard.
And if I’m being honest, it was still craptastically hot. Whew!
Came in from my sweat-fest for a quick shower, and was rewarded by the hubs with a fresh peach milkshake.
I love this site – it shows you families and their food by month. It’s really amazing to see 🙂
Neat pro/con list for the Insanity workout – I haven’t forked out the dough yet to try it, but maybe??