I saw this grace my Twitter feed several times today, and lo and behold – I had all the ingredients! I made this to serve as lunches during the work week; but it was literally a 15 minute meal to throw together, so it would be great as a weeknight meal for the family!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- ½ whole Small Onion, Minced (about 1/4 Cup)
- ½ teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 quart Low-sodium Chicken Broth (or Vegetable Broth)
- 15 ounces, weight Canned Whole Tomatoes
- Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 9 ounces, weight Package Tortellini, Any Variety, Fresh Or Frozen
- 3 cups Fresh Spinach, Chopped And Loosely Packed
- Parmesan Cheese, To Serve
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion. Cook until the onion is softened and the garlic has turned light gold, about 5 minutes.
Add the oregano, broth, tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. (You can break up the tomatoes with your fingers as you add them to the pot, or break them up with a spoon once you’ve added them to the soup.)
Bring the soup to a boil and add the tortellini. Cook according to the package directions.
One minute before the tortellini are done, add the spinach. Stir to combine.
When the tortellini are cooked, remove the pot from the heat immediately so they do not overcook. Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
Serve the soup immediately, topped with grated Parmesan cheese